Saturday 14 March 2015

Hair DIY: Avocado, Olive Oil and Honey Mask

Hi everyone!

Today I will be sharing information on a DIY hair mask I tried last week using avocado. This is a simple mask with few but highly nourishing ingredients.

This article from Livestrong highlights the benefits of avocados for hair growth when eaten or used as a hair conditioner; it is beneficial for hair growth by protecting and strengthening the hair. Avocados are high in vitamins B and E, which work at the cellular level to protect and strengthen hair. As a conditioner/hair treatment avocados makes hair less dry and prone to breakage, due to the high fat-content.

The recipe I used was from Back to her roots and is shown below; 

INGREDIENTS

1 ripe avocado

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons honey

2-3 drops essential oil (optional)

DIRECTIONS


  • Cut avocado into 2 halves and scoop out the flesh
  • Blend avocado, honey and olive oil until all avocado bits are gone ( I did not blend but mashed the avocado and I found that I had very few bits of avocado particles left in my hair after rinsing).
  • Apply the mask to the hair in sections, ensuring that all strands are well coated.
  • Cover hair with shower cap for 30-45 minutes.
  • Rinse out avocado mask and proceed with styling.

MY RESULTS

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures throughout the whole process :( . While applying the mask to my hair I immediately noticed the slip of the mask which is great for detangling hair. After rinsing my hair felt soft and well moisturized.


Notes

  • The mask can be used on relaxed, transitioning or natural hair
  • If you have longer hair you can double the ingredients
  • You can buy avocadoes in Nigeria at your local fruit seller, they call it 'Pear'
  • The avocado to be used should be ripe or even slightly over ripe (should be soft to touch)

Will you be trying this mask or any other? Do share!

Happy Hair Growing!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment